Monday, October 15, 2012

Enjoying the Moment?

This Blog Post Written by Tiffany Burke, Surrogate Mother

This is a little off topic from the surrogacy story, but I feel compelled to write about it.   It starts out a little controversial but hopefully will end on a good note.

A photo was brought to my attention the other day that made me stop what I was doing and rethink a lot of things.  The photo (pictured below) is of a newborn baby, just minutes old, snuggled up on mom's chest.  Both mom and dad are on their phones... texting (or Facebooking... or... working?).   Neither is looking at the other, or the baby.  They are plugged in and updating people.   I was initially really mad at the parents. How can they not be living in the moment? How can they just be on their phones so quickly?  Could updating their friends and family really not wait a few moments? They are missing one of the best parts of life.   Watching their child take its first breaths, counting fingers and toes, touching the skin that feels like air.... I didn't understand. What could be more important than being with their baby?  After more thought, I started to feel like there is some sort of pressure and obsession in society today to over connect, to be too plugged in.  To update everyone ASAFP (As Soon As F-ing Possible) when something exciting (or not exciting - pictures of our food) in our life happens.  




I started to think about all the other places I have been lately where people are too plugged-in, mostly on their phones.  We all know texting and driving is a big issue...I won't even get into that now.   But I was at my son's swim lessons a few weeks ago and the majority of the parents were texting/FBing or whatever it is they do on their phones.  I can't count the number of times my son looked up at me with a smile on his face to see if I was watching him with his new swim moves. The rest of the parents were just missing it.  Missing their little lives, their little moments. At the park a few weeks ago, a dad was texting the entire time he was pushing his little girl on the swing.  At one point, she flipped off the swing and got hurt. One of the biggest places I see over plugged-in people is at weddings. As a wedding photographer, I have pretty much seen it all. At a recent wedding, a lady was in the back of the church on her phone reading the news (photo below).  In the middle of the vows.  Okay, seriously?!  She was missing it all. People are taking photos with their phones and posting and tagging so instantly, it's almost as if the wedding is streaming live online. It's one thing to be grabbing fun photos (I get it, I do it for a living and love having those moments as well) but it takes time to upload to your social media, tag, comment, like etc. and it is really pulling us away from the moments happening right in front of us.  A wedding is one of the most beautiful moments you can witness, really getting to watch two people who love each other, as they become "one" and celebrate that love.  It actually is a cool experience and many people are so busy taking photos or updating their status that they are missing the actual event and the actual moments.  I would love to see people take the photo they want (or trust that the wedding photographer will get the photo) then put the phones and cameras away and live in the moment.




Now, before I sound like I am on a soap box here (possibly too late and I am sorry if it is too late), let me remind you how guilty I am as well for being too plugged-in.  Although I do not own a smart phone (in fact, currently NO cell phone and loving it), I am really plugged in online.  My job requires a lot of online attention and we do share our surrogacy story very openly online as it is happening, while filming and, at times, photographing it.   I am guilty of saying to my kids, "One more minute..." while I finish emailing clients, or tagging them in their sneak peek.  Just as I was writing this blog post, my seven year old came up and begged me to read him one chapter in Adventures According to Humphrey.  How could I say no?   Of course I stopped blogging and went to be with him.  This is not always the case when it comes to my work and deadlines and sometimes, just plain old goofing off on Facebook and getting lost in the time-suck that it is.  I am involved in WAY too many FB groups, all of which I keep telling myself serve a great purpose in my life (and they do ... but also, really? Do they?), but they suck time from me and I want to start breaking free more. Why do I have to be online so much?

In the defense of those stuck online, on phones and plugged in too much, I think everyone needs time off from the real world.  Time off from the responsibilities required of us and sometimes being plugged into our phones or ipads or computers provides us with that "zone out" time.   We get to zone out but still feel connected, we can read a great story online, or feel not as alone by connecting with a blog.  We can catch up on our friends lives through their updated photos and travels using Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. We can share recipes on Pinterest. Perhaps the dad at the park was a single dad, and played one on one all day with his little girl and now that she was finally sitting still, on the swing, he was able to have a moment during the day to text?  I have no idea. I really don't want to judge myself and others too harshly, but I do want to bring to our attention that I feel too many of us are guilty of being too plugged-in and missing some really amazing moments in this fabulous life we have all been given.

So what is the answer?   Quit the social media world cold turkey?  Stop texting as much?  Stop updating? Have designated online time for yourself (not more than 30 min/day)?  I don't have the answers, but I had an idea that may encourage everyone to find their OWN personal solution.  

I have asked my readers to send in real, raw, emotional moments caught on camera from their lives. I asked for photos taken by them or taken professionally.  Now ironically, these moments were caught on camera or phone and then shared now online on a blog - PLUGGED-IN!  I know, I know.  But these images needed to be seen and shared. I think the images speak for themselves about all the amazing moments out there that we are missing by being too attached to our phones and social networking.  Take the photo, capture the moment, post later.  By all means, take the photo!  Of course!  Or you can hire someone else to take those pictures for you (as many people did in the photos below and, no, this is not a shameless plug for hire\ing professional photographers).  If you hire someone else, you can LIVE in your moment and have the photo for later, best of both worlds.  Or have no cameras at all and just live in the moment. Whatever you decide, maybe it's time to stop being so plugged in during the moment.  Your Facebook status can wait, the moment cannot wait.  You will NEVER get this moment back, ever.  Breathe it in, enjoy those tiny fingers and toes, take in an extra snuggle before work, listen to the silly story your child is telling you, listen to the rain.  You don't know if this will be your last moment with the people you love, or if it will be your last moment period.  Don't chance it anymore.   Everything else can wait.  The people on Facebook who read your status updates can wait another day. 

I received over 100 photos in the span of 24 hours, and it was really hard to narrow them all down.  So many images touched my heart.  With the help of my adoring husband, we narrowed down the top images we hope make an impact on you. I hope they inspire you to stop what you are doing online or on your phone and start living in the moment.  These images captured below are big and small events in life that I wish we could all drink up. Make sure you read the captions for even more depth to each story.  Also, thank you to everyone who sent in images, I was overwhelmed with joy and genuinely loved them all!

I would love for you to comment below if you feel we as a society are too plugged in and not enjoying the moments anymore. Are you personally too plugged in? Also feel free to comment below about what image touched you and why! 

Warmly,
Tiffany Burke
30 weeks pregnant with surrogate twins.


“Realize deeply that the present moment is all you have. Make the NOW the primary focus of your life.” 

― Eckhart Tolle



Moments You Don't Want to Miss:









A mother is hugging and loving on her children, not even aware that dad has snapped the photo.






Tori, who has cerebral palsy, was enjoying the summer heat when an unexpected hose spray came from her step dad.  Photo courtesy of Catch the Light Photography.






After a yearlong deployment, CPT Tsilianos, returns home and is greeted by his wife, Tara, who says tears of joy overtook her breathing the moment she saw him.







Mother, Jodi, holds her son, baby Kash, for the first time, 9 days after his birth.  After 6 years of infertility, their IVF cycle was successful. Their son Kash was born at 34 weeks with complications that put him in the BC Children's NICU for 3 months, including his first Christmas. This photo was taken after 2-3 surgeries he had already gone through.  He was a fighter.







A groom sees his bride for the very first time on their wedding day. His emotions are priceless.  Photo courtesy of Michelle Newell Photography.







Mother, Laura, holds her baby girl, Penelope, after having a home water birth.  Her husband, Thoren kisses his wife while crying with joy.






Baby George squeals with joy as he goes down a slide. A simple pure moment of enjoying life.






Little Eilleillwy holds her newborn sister, Bloddueth, very protectively.  Since the moment Bloddueth was born, Eilleillwy was very protective over her and they had a very strong sisterly bond.  Sadly, baby Bloddueth passed away 7 months later.






Siblings, (from left to right) Charlyse, Saraya, James, and Patrick, enjoy a summer afternoon playing cricket together.  James is 8 years old and has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. It's a genetic muscle-wasting disease that is both incurable and terminal. Most boys die in their teens. He is transitioning from standing to a wheelchair full-time, so playing games like this is becoming more difficult, and eventually he won't be able to do anything but watch as the disease ravages his body and finally his heart. But that won't stop his family from making sure he lives an amazing life and experiences as much as possible.







Mona stares adoringly at her dad, Henri, who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer shortly before this photo was taken. He really wanted to make pancakes but he was too tired to stand at the stove, so they brought a dining room chair in for him to sit on. You can see Mona's cheek is packed with pancakes.  Sadly, Henri passed away 7 months later. 


Little Ellesha cries at the wedding of her mother, as the groom was giving his vows. He was saying how he would love Ellesha as his own, for now and for always. Not ever having a father until now, Ellesha cried with joy and so did the entire room.






An intended mother, watches as her baby is born via surrogacy.  Photos courtesy of surrogate, Didi Perry, and her awesome daughter who captured the moment!





A father, Evan, is reunited with his daughter, Lauren, after being deployed for 8 months. 







Mother, Autumn, holds her baby girl, Everbee for the first time after her at home water birth.







Chrystal and Rebecca sneak in a loving moment before they walk down the aisle for their wedding.  Photo courtesy of Maria Alexandra Photography.







Little Emma received her first hair cut ever. She wanted to surprise her brother and cousin and this is their reaction, their "first look" at her new cut.  She cut off over 6 inches which is a big deal for that age!  Photo courtesy of Amanda Kay Photography.








Little Grant acts like a typical little boy in an airplane heaven, soaring through the airplanes, just being a little boy and enjoying the moment.  Photo courtesy of Evantide Photography.









Father, Adam, meets his son, Noah, for the very first time since being deployed. He gazes down with joy at his beautiful son.   Picture courtesy of Evantide Photography.


51 comments:

  1. Wow SOOOOOO powerful! All of them! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tears are flowing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying big fat tears. So many beautiful and precious moments. Sadly, I am one of those people who tend to be very "connected", but that probably comes from living overseas for 10 years and, now that we are back in our home country, living too far away from family and friends. So I feel the need to keep them in our lives by connecting via Facebook. I am becoming more and more conscious these days about the time I spend on my phone, and have made the effort to only be online when the kids are at school or after they have gone to bed. With 4 kids aged 8 and under, it's hard to find the time to be online anyway. I've also learnt, thanks to my son James (who features in the cricket shot above) that life is too short to miss out on a single thing about their lives, so I am at every single assembly, swimming lesson, athletics carnival, and any other performance. Being a SAHM, I am lucky to have that luxury - so many others don't. So it's not something I take for granted.

    Tiffany, you remarked in your email to be that my family and I are an inspiration to you. That made me laugh as you and your family are an inspiration to me. Obviously for different reasons, but still an inspiration. I am lucky enough to have been able to have 4 beautiful children. Yes, my eldest son is dying, but I'm still lucky enough to have him in my life. Others will never experience that, and that is a tragedy. So what you are doing for your brother and his wife is both beautiful and inspiring. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful post. Such good words, and true to form- a picture is worth a 1000 words- reminder to be in the moment and being present when we're with others. Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post tonight. I love the pictures, they are amazing and humbling. Please know that you have inspired to me to be a bit more "unplugged" as I was one who was guilty of being on my phone/facebook at the park today. I will remember your words when I (try) to drag it out next time! Thank you! Btw, I'm right on the other side of the Cascades from you, "hi" from the Eastern side of Washington!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I needed this post. I love the photos and all the memories they capture. Everyone needs to spend more time with the ones they love and not be online at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So touching!! Thank you for this post. We are going to the pumpkin patch today for my sons school field trip and this is a great reminder to put the phone down. Forget instagram, I'm bringing the big camera ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the pictures made me cry!! Thank you for sharing. This is a great post, and a good reminder that I should "unplug" from technology to focus on my family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sobbing through this. Beautiful and a beautiful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A link to your blog was recently posted on a website I visit daily. I have enjoyed reading your story.

    The pictures brought tears to my eyes. This 4th of July I watched a lady watch the fireworks show on her iPad because she taped the whole thing, while her husband sat beside her - she didn't watch a single firework live. I couldn't understand why she would do that (although as I wrote that I realized that could be judgmental, as she could have been taping it for someone that couldn't be there).

    This post makes you stop and think about whether you pay attention enough to your life or are too busy telling others about it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ALL such beautiful moments...what a powerful reminder! Tears here. Thank You, Kelli A

    ReplyDelete
  12. So weird...I all of a sudden have something in both of my eyes ;)

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am guilty of living behind the camera; trying to capture all of those moments with my children. I have to remind myself to live in the moment. I try to snap a few shots of what is going on, and then put the camera away and join in on the fun. We are creating memories with our children and I want to be a part of that, as Mommy - not just the lady behind the lens :) Which reminds me of this article that I recently read - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allison-tate/mom-pictures-with-kids_b_1926073.html It is a bit off topic, but I find that I tend to hide behind the camera because of many of the reasons she lists.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete


  15. You hit the nail on the head with this post Tiffany. Cant tell you how many times this has been a topic for me personally. Being older perhaps helps with the lack of desire to text on a phone. Over and over again the computer takes away so much in our lives. Smart phones are really not that smart when you realize how damn dumb you can be when you have to ask what happened at a game, event, or even a childs art work. To them its a masterpiece. To others its nothing more than an irritation. Watched moms far more than dads at parks become lost in social media while their children roam free and unsupervised. Online games or the Wii takes over a part of the childs life as a babysitting service. I don't mind if they play a game but not for hrs. on end.


    More and more time is given to our lap tops, Ipads, Smart phones and so much less to those moments in life that really matter. How many emails or text messages really need a response? Why does all else become lost when your phone beeps telling you another text or message just came in. finding that little amount of dopamine as you wait anxiously for another message can not compare to the high in life when your child reads YOU a book for the first time. Over waiting for that message to come in what time have you lost that you could have been using to be creative? All those deliberate choices take more and more away from your day. If the message does not directly impact your life in some way it will be forgotten in an hr., maybe a day.


    The most precious gift we can give? Our attention, presence. And we wonder why kids seem to not offer it back. That off in space syndrome when paying a game or watching TV. Hearing how one can multi-task makes me want to scream! ◦For stimulation
    Friends of ours have mentioned the HUGE number of emails they responded to in one day. If they were 99% deleted would they even be missed? What is that important in our lives that a voice over the phone or a drop in to a friends home doesn't fill?
    Sites like F/Book help us connect. However, it can cause us all to become disconnected in so many ways. I have noticed Lauri and I both use social media to deal with anxiety.
    maybe testing offers some type of escape or does it make us feel in control?
    Maybe we just need to prioritize our lives to what really does matter. Take a walk, read a book or play with our kids can be so much more rewarding.
    What if we measured that time in battery life? Leave them all unplugged and the monster put away. Lets go for a walk and play in the park!! Or take a moment to think like Tiffany just helped me do.

    Thanks girl

    Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  16. AMAZING..almost made me cry

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am still crying after viewing these amazing photos...thank you! I feel that the most rude and hurtful tech action is sitting there texting while a person is visiting with you. A special relative of mine does this everytime I am over at her house. I don't know if she's texting, Googling, FBing...it doesn't matter. What it does is make me feel as if I have no worth to her and it hurts my heart.

    I am so glad that I live a rather "unplugged in" life.

    Thank you so much for bringing these actions to the forefront...perhaps even one person will think before they grab that phone or whatever.

    We should all realize that the people we love are on this Earth for such a relatively short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Someone had to be "connected" to get these pics and get them to you. Sometimes family and grandparents are very important to some people want them to know their grandchild was born and everyone is ok as soon as possible. I think it is a little silly to judge someone about this. My family is connected over many miles because I am so "connected". Just my little two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany was clearly not advocating complete abandonment of social media, phones and the Internet. Amazing how some people will find reason to object to even the loveliest things. Nice post, Tiff.

      Delete
  19. These should be marked as "NSFW" because now I'm crying at my desk!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. absolutely beautiful,and makes me reflect on my life when it comes to social media,phones and internet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Probably one of the most "smack me in the face" (in a good way) things I have read / seen in a long time. Thanks for this! I'm a little misty eyed and heading out to get my kids from school and you bet your ass I'll be putting the phone away and listening to them. I am so guilty of this and really need to be more involved in my own life! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm an intended mom-to-be, via surrogacy. I better get some waterproof mascara!! Wow, amazing pictures, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful! I'm guilty of being TOO plugged in sometimes, too....although I wish I could have submitted my son's birth photo for this, complete with cell phone next to baby so Daddy coukd hear his first cries, all the way in Afghanistan :) that picture is PRICELESS to me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This post strikes home for me. I'm very often "plugged in" and find it difficult to break free. It's funny you should mention swimming lessons as yesterday while at my 3yo daughter's swimming lesson I was sitting there Facebooking as you do, and looking up periodically when it was her turn (although I kept missing it). I thought to myself ~ This is silly. What on earth could happen on Facebook/emails that can't possibly wait until after she's had her lessons. Nothing of course. So I put my phone in my bag and watched for the rest of the lesson and she had the biggest smile on her face and kept turning around to look at me. I don't want my children's memories of me to be sitting at the computer, back turned to them. Nor do I want them to have my head buried into my iPhone imprinted onto their brains. And yet that is exactly what is happening. I even find myself checking updates while driving. What is up with that? That is not cool, nor safe. It's hard when you're a photographer, as I am, not to use the computer/social media. Obviously I need to or else I wouldn't be able to get my work done. But it doesn't mean I need to live every single moment online. And I'll endeavour to break free from it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spoken, Sophie. Although I really do make an effort to stay connected LIVE with my children, I too fear that they see me online too often, checking my bberry too often, even on the telephone too often. There must be a balance and it needs to tip in favour of staying involved in your own real life. Thanks, Tiffany, this is a poignant and lovely reminder for me.

      Delete
  25. Okay this is the 5th time I had to come back and look at the pictures again. Love love love this post

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks, Tiffany. Beautiful post -- and I definitely am working on finding that balance between being too plugged in and still preserving the moments, too. I appreciate your candor and kind reminders that although preserving memories is important, LIVING them with our loved ones is even more precious. Hugs to you! And thanks for sharing my little girl's haircut photo, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have so many people who ask me why I don't have a cell phone. This is the reason. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm guilty of this, too. Right now, my DD is taking a nap, so I'm using the time to mess around before I start printing out some stuff for her 1st birthday Smashbook. I always have a camera on me to take the impromptu photos, not to mention to take photos of my husband fallen asleep with our daughter in the reclining chair!
    But reading this made me think about how much going back to school has taken away from me being with my daughter. My husband and I have the same issue as we're both in school. His mom watches our little one while we're gone, but I still often wonder just how much I'm missing.
    I'm missing the dirty diapers, the meal times of solid foods, the crawling and cruising, the playing and babbling. It makes me ache when I think about it that, more often than I'll admit, I've thought about quitting school. But then I think about how much time a job would take away from my daughter. I spend less time at school than I would at a job, so it keeps me in school.
    My husband and I waited 10 years for this little bundle of adorability. I don't want to miss anything. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I don't even know what to say! I am sitting here with tears running down my face. I just want to go grab my beautiful little girl and hold her while she sleeps! Thanks for the reminder to enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm definitely guilty of being too plugged-in (I should probably be sleeping right now...), but sometimes I see things that stun me as well. I snapped tons of photos of my youngest daughter's first ever basketball games this weekend, but I made sure I actually SAW her games...and I waited until after the games were done to upload photos to facebook. I guess it didn't even occur to me to do it during the game...it's just not courteous to do that, and besides, I was too busy cheering for the kids!

    Thank you for pointing out that there may be a story we're unaware of; this is something that I myself should be always remember, but often forget. Sometimes (OK, a lot of times) I'm that annoying mom that takes a bazillion pictures at school or sporting events. I don't do this because I'm trying to be a supermom or because my priorities are screwed up...I do this because their dad lives 2000 miles away and doesn't see them very often. He loves them so much and it is so hard for him; I do as much as I can so he can see his little girls grow up. I know that he will do the same for me when custody changes and he has them for the bulk of the year and I won't see them often. So for our family...picture-taking and social media are very, very important. It's good to have that reminder to unplug, however.

    So on that note, I'm logging out of everything and going to bed. Thank you all for sharing your photos (and thus, a little piece of your life); I didn't want them to stop. Each and every one was so beautiful. Be well~

    ReplyDelete
  31. I happened to stumble upon you blog by mistake, but I'm happy I did! Thank you for the wonderful post and for reminding us of how important it is to be in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  32. There are pictures of me hold my son just after his birth and sending text messages. I held him guts and all on my chest, I peered into those beautiful blue eyes and said "Hi R- I'm you momma" as he cried. We sat there for ten minutes because his APGAR scores were so high and then they whisked him away to get measurements and wipe him off. That's when I got out my phone to alert people of his birth like my little sister and father who live across the country. When they handed him back to me he quietly sat on my chest and I stroked his little nose and shared the good news! I set up mass picture messages before I gave birth,I had my mom take his picture when they weighed him and it took a little bit longer than I thought to attach it and send it. I don't feel like it took too much from living in that moment, sharing the good news was part of that moment. I understand what you mean by too plugged in. When I was suffering from postpartum depression I was only plugged in, any chance I got while he was sleeping or when my MIL took him for a few hours so I could sleep I sat in front of Facebook not even doing anything. I know all too well there are dangers of being too plugged in.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I came acrossed your blog due to a photographer I know (who took my wedding pictuers). She posted about your story on facebook. (Guilty-too plugged in) I think what you're doing is an amazing thing. Being able to give children to someone who is not able to, is astonishing.
    Every single picture in this post made me tear up. I am sitting at work and I really had to concentrate on not balling my eyes out. I, lately, have been thinking about my son who is 14 months old, and all the little things he is learning and doing now that I want to remember forever. Just yesterday I took tons of pictures of him doing random things. When my son was a newborn I took pictures of him every day. As he got older (and harder to chase around) I found myself not taking as many. This post has encouraged me even more to take pictures and really live in the moment. Because, before I know it my son will be all grown up and I will have nothing left but those pictures I took of him. Thank you for sharing your story, and thanks so much for inspiring me to live in the moment and not be so pligged in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this post! I always laugh to myself when friends of mine post on their facebook about the amazing time they are having spending with their hubby etc. I always think to myself if you are having such an amazing time then why are you on facebook updating your status? Can't we just enjoy life without the approval of others?

    ReplyDelete
  35. These made me cry! I love the one of the groom seeing his bride as she walks down the aisle. The look on his face in both was such pure love! I love the waterbirth images and the surrogate one as well but they are all pretty amazing! I am definitely guilty of being too plugged in sometimes and need to work on it! Just after giving birth is not one of them though. When I had my younger daughter I didnt tell anyone I was in labor, heading to the hospital or anything. It didnt even occur to me until a few hours after she was born. My dad actually called to wish me luck at my induction but she had already been born...she decided to come on her own time just 2 hours before I was supposed to get induced. He was pretty surprised I hadnt called him already. :) Priorities!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hubby n i got into trouble with a family member because she got a message saying water had broken and then nithing for 2 hrs. Was kinda bust having a baby. Lol. And we did post pics and announcemets after the hr skin to skin.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hubby n i got into trouble with a family member because she got a message saying water had broken and then nithing for 2 hrs. Was kinda bust having a baby. Lol. And we did post pics and announcemets after the hr skin to skin.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, the smugness of some of these comments. I post a lot on Facebook and twitter, and I also spend a lot of time enjoying my children. There are pictures of me joyfully holding my freshly home-birthed baby, and then there is video of me posting about her arrival on Facebook while the midwife examined her. Sometimes I read while pushing my kids on the swing. I love the richness that social media adds to my life as a SAHM, and I love that distant friends and family get to experience parts of our lives through it. If I snap a picture of a lovely time with my spouse, and then upload it with a short comment (takes 30 seconds) while she's in the bathroom, does that mean I'm not actually having a good time? No.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful photos. I love the one of the mom and her NICU baby; it reminds me of my son during his stay in the hospital for heart surgery. Those little moments are so precious when your baby can't always be held due to the wires and tubes. I couldn't hold my son for three weeks after his first heart surgery. We were updating online about his health, but we spent very moment we could with Corbin, while we could.
    I'm plugged in for my heart defect advocacy but I have made more of an effort to get more home life pictures. After Corbin was diagnosed, the chance to take family pictures was taken away from us. I hate that it took that happening for me to finally see how important catching those little moments are.
    Very moving post. Thank you.
    I visited from:thecorbinstory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Amazing...crying now...thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  41. All very touching. I agree we luve in a plugged-in world. I also take time to live/snap the tenderness of my family. My husband and children are always hiding my phone, because I will snap a pic anytime any place

    ReplyDelete
  42. O my goodness. I cryed my eyes out! That is so amazing and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Such a remember-able Moment you collect, i love this heart touching for me

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful post and the photos..
    For any queries related Infertilty treatment in Kerala visit GIFT- Gyno IVF centre,kochi
    You can call on 91 484 2475031 or visit http://www.giftivf.com.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Here you can constantly decide for solutions that entail genuine USA Facebook Likes for adding appeal right into your facebook ID. usa facebook likes

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Questions, comments, stories. All welcome.